If you are new to iOS and the jailbreak, it is likely that you do not know what that "Cydia" that is on everyone's lips is. But what are they talking about? Undoubtedly, when we hear or read the word Cydia in some medium, the conversation is related to the world of jailbreak, which translated into Spanish is something like “escape” or, if we translate it directly, “break the cage” . But, how to download cydia? How do you install?
In this article we will try explain various things about Cydia so that you never have any doubts about the app store launched by Saurik now more than 8 years ago.
Table of Contents
What is Cydia and what is it for
Apple presented its application store in the Keynote of the WWDC in 2008 and christened it the App Store, whose direct translation is "application store" (which does not seem to be as good as in English). IOS restrictions made developers want to "break the cage" that prevented some modifications to the iPhone. Saurik then decided to launch a alternative app store from where we could download applications not allowed in the App Store and other types of modifications, such as SBSettings (initially called BossPrefs) or Winterboard, which helps us to add themes (skins or skins) to our iPhone.
I'm not going to say that jailbreak is less and less important, but I will say that at the beginning iOS had many more limitations, so the jailbreak was almost an obligation. Without going any further, to be able to record video with the first iPhone it was necessary to install a tweak by Cydia. Without further delay, let's see how to download Cydia and install it on the different iPhone or iPad models.
How to download Cydia for iPhone 4 and earlier
The best for download and install Cydia on iPhone 4 and earlier is to find the necessary tool for the version of iOS that this device uses:
- If you have iOS 7.x installed, you will have to go to the Pangu website and download their tool Pangu 7.
- If you happen to have iOS 7.0-7.0.x and you don't trust Chinese hackers (you wouldn't be the first), you can also use the latest tool launched by the team of hackers evad3rs that you have available on their website.
- If you made the non-objectionable decision to stay on iOS 6, you can use the tool p0sixspwn.
- For other versions, check the page http://jailbrea.kr/
- Can also be tested and installed Cydia Installer, a tool for Windows that is supposed to download Cydia. In any case, it is something that I do not recommend.
The quick answer is: all. Any iOS device, be it a iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad, is compatible with Cydia. Of course, not all devices are compatible with all versions of Cydia.
In any case, if we jailbreak an iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad, entering Cydia we will see if it can be done update to the latest version. If it can't, the latest version that we can install from Cydia is the last one compatible with that device.
Tutorial to install Cydia
This process can be a bit tricky or very simple, depending on the process you choose and at the point where you want to install Cydia
Process 1: Normal installation. Obligatory process if you haven't jailbroken before
This is the recommended process to install Cydia on your iPhone.
- If you do not have the alternative Cydia application store installed, it gives you problems or it disappears, perhaps it is best to start from 0, so the first thing we will do is a backup.
- The second step is to look at one of the tutorials that we have in iPhone News to jailbreak your device.
As simple as that. Although it could be fine, manual installation of some packages usually creates more problems than solving them, so I recommend doing Process 1 to install Cydia. Also, it is the only way to install it if we have not jailbroken the device yet.
Process 2: Manual installation.
I would not recommend this process to install Cydia, but it will prevent us from starting from 0 with all that this would mean. We will do the following:
- We download the .deb package for the version of Cydia that we want to install.
- We open an SFTP client, like Cyberduck.
- We sail to / var / root / Media. If we don't have the Cydia folder, we create it.
- Inside the Cydia folder we have to create (if it is not) a folder called AutoInstall.
- We take the .deb package that we downloaded in step 1 and "upload" it to the AutoInstall folder.
- We rebooted twice. After the second reboot, Cydia should appear on the Springboard.
How to jailbreak the latest iPhone models
The hacker groups that are responsible for making the jailbreak are also responsible for launching tools for it. Otherwise, jailbreaking could be mission impossible. If you asked me "How do you jailbreak an iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad?" my answer would be "What device and what version of iOS do you have installed?"
Although it is true that the latest tools make the process practically the same, it is also true that there may be light but important differences in the process. If I have to say a single generic method, I would say it has to be done as follows:
- We seek information about the jailbreak for iOS version that we have installed. This point may be a bit funny, but I say it because, for example, in iOS 5.0.1-5.1.1 we have to use the Absinthe tool, in iOS 6.1.2 we have to use evasi0n, in iOS 7.x evasi0n7 and for iOS 8 and iOS 9 we will have to use one of the tools offered by the Pangu or TaiG hacker teams. In the page jailbrea.kr We can check this information up to iOS 7.1.
- We make a backup of all important data on iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad. This is an important step for when we are going to perform any flashing, not only for the jailbreak.
- We run the tool downloaded in step 1.
- We follow the instructions that appear in the application. In many cases, these steps include unlocking the device and tapping the new icon that has been created on the springboard.
For, do the jailbreak to the latest version available at the moment, you can visit our post Tutorial to jailbreak iOS 9.0-9.0.2.
Do you have any doubts about how download Cydia?